Things I Watched: Linda Linda Linda - High School Punk Rock



In a recent post I mentioned a Korean movie I'd once seen called A Girl at My Door. It’s just as well I did because the lead actress in that film is Bae Doona and she also stars in this one, Linda Linda Linda. I watched it last night and am very content describing as like a real life version of K-On.

The film follows four schoolgirls who put together a cover band for the high school cultural festival. We see them begin with minimal music knowledge before transforming into a unit strong enough to plat the three chord structure necessary to cover songs by Japanese punk band, The Blue Hearts. The story involves other bits and bobs about high school life, including secret crushes, ex-boyfriends moving to Tokyo, and a not-so-mutual crush between two of the school’s exchange students.

Overall it's sweet and likable. The pace is a bit slow but this could be me being picky because I seem to have no attention span these days. It's also nice to see a huge nod to the good old days where people actually spent time learning music because being in a band was considered cool. I remember it fondly.

//

Comments

Popular Posts